Stronghold Aggersund

The building of the Aggersund Bridge was started in 1939 and it was officially opened 3 years later, on 18 June 1942.

The bridge was one of only three connecting the district of Thy with the mainland and the strategic significance for the Germans was therefore obvious. In 1943, the German Air Force (Luftwaffe) began to set up a fortified area with bunkers and flak batteries (anti-aircraft guns).

The German army also looked at the strategic significance of the bridge, and so at the same time, they started building strongholds both north and south of the bridge.

In addition to three 20 mm. anti-aircraft guns (Flak 38), both anti-tank and machine guns were placed at the bridge. The strongholds were surrounded by defensive bunkers, minefields and barbed wire barriers.

As part of his inspection of the defence of Denmark, German Field Marshal Erwin Rommel drove along the west coast of Denmark and on 7th December1943, he drove over the bridge and inspected the defences.

Today, bunkers are scattered around the area.