Saint-Inglevert Airfield

The airfield at the city of Saint-Inglevert was built in 1920 as a civil airfield.

After the German occupation in June 1940, the German Air Force (Luftwaffe) took over the airfield and placed an escarpment Messerschmitt Bf 109 fighter plane on the base.

On July 30, 1940, the base was bombed by Royal Airforce (RAF) and again on August 19th.

In the fall, new hangars were built and a landing course was formed in concrete. After another bomb attack at the end of December, the Germans decided to lay down the base and in the following years it was only used as a reserve runway.

In 1943 a gun battery was installed as part of the Atlantic Wall. The four 150 mm. guns were set in field terms, but already in spring 1944 they were replaced by 105 mm. guns and bunkers (R669) were built to them. The guns were set by the German army and had a range of 13 km. They had direction towards the beach in Wissant Bay, 4 km. towards the northwest.

In addition to the four gun bunkers, it is still possible to find remains of the earlier gun positions and the airfield is today used by a civil aviation club.