Luftwaffe Radar Station Distelfink

One of Germany's most important radar stations in Normandy was located at the town of Dover-the-Delivrande. It was started in early 1942 and was continuously expanded until summer of 1944.

Five radar were set up, including a 65 meter high Wassermann, capable of spotting aircraft at a distance of up to 400 km. Two Freya radar and two Würzburg-Riese.

A big command bunker collected all the information and made sure to follow the enemy and own planes.

The entire station was heavily protected by air guns mounted on bunkers (L409A and L410A) as well as many machine gun bunkers and antitank guns. In addition, there were running graves, barbed wire barriers and mining fields.

In the weeks leading up to the Allies landing in Normandy on June 6, 1944 (d-day), the radar station was bombed several times. However, it was a bomb attack in the afternoon on the very day that destroyed the 65 meter high Wassermann radar.

The following days, the radar station was attacked several times by Canadian and British troops, but first on June 17, the Germans surrendered after the attackers used tanks.

After the war, the area was cleaned for mines and equipment, and in 1992 it open as a museum.