After Italy had surrendered to the Allies in September 1943, the German Navy took over Italy's largest naval base at the town of La Spezia. To the south of the city, on the island of Tino, a gun battery was set up to protect the entrance. The Germans chose to rapidly boost this battery by replacing the guns to four 152 mm. guns and at the same time start casting bunkers.
The naval base that was built by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1862 was heavily bombarded by the Allies during the war and, consequently, lost its meaning.
The island of Tino is uninhabited and was incorporated in UNESCO's World Heritage List in 1997. It is a military area and can therefore only be visited on trips twice a year.
© Picture by Ray Clark