Naval Gun Battery Nordkapp
In December 1942, the German navy started the construction of a gun battery at Honigsvaag at Nordkap. The guns were four 170 mm. guns that had been trnsfered from Pillau by the Baltic Sea. The range of the guns was 20 km. And to lead the fire, a large command bunker (M157) was built.
After Finland had signed a ceasefire with Russia in September 1944, the Germans began a massive withdrawal from northern Norway. Operation Nordlicht (northern light) meant that all positions were abandoned, houses, bridges and roads were blown up. Everything that could fall into the hands of the Red Army was removed. 45,000 Norwegians were forced evacuated and over 10,000 houses, churches, farms, schools and so on was burned. Animals were slaughtered, fishing boats were lowered and more than 20,000 phone piles were dropped. In addition, crops were burned and large areas mined.
As part of this withdrawal, the guns and bunkers in battery Nordkapp was blown up in December 1944.
After the German capitulation, the civilian population began to return to their houses and in September 1945 the last Russian troops left northern Norway.
The battery today is a riot of outcast bunkers.