Naval Gun Battery Barbarigo

As far back as when Venice was an independent republic, the city was defended at the entrances to the lagoon.

The southern tip of the island of Pellestrina was one of the entrances and here built the Italians in 1880 a gun battery. Already in 1910 it was rebuilt into a new and larger fort, Forte Barbarigo.

The armament was four 152 mm. guns from 1891 with a range of 12.5 km. The guns were placed side by side and the whole fortification was cast in concrete.

When the Germans in 1942 began to fortify the Italian coasts, the four guns was moved to new bunkers (M272) just southwest of the old fort.

In addition to the four guns, the Germans placed anti-aircraft guns and a bunker to a searchlight (FL277).

The gun battery was never in combat and can be visited as part of the nature reserve Riserva Naturale Ca 'Roman.