Stronghold Battery Agger

When the Germans on 9 April 1940 occupied Denmark, the main objective was to secure the airports in Aalborg and thereby the supply line to Norway. In order to ensure access to the Limfjord and thereby access to Aalborg from the water side, the German Navy already on April 12. set up a coastal battery on Agger Tange with four 120 mm. guns.

The guns were set up field-wise, but in the fall of 1942, bunkers were started to be built for the crew (R501, R621 and R622), for the ammunition (R134) and for the fire management (M162a).

400 meters north of the coastal battery, the German Air Force built a radar position in September 1943, consisting of a Würzburg-Riese radar mounted on a bunker tower (V174). The position was part of a network of radar, that had to cover all of Denmark

By the end of 1943 the guns in the coastal battery was replaced with more modern German 127 mm. Guns increasing the range to 15 km.

In the summer of 1944, construction began for bunkers for the guns, but shortly afterwards the work was set. The German naval management had decided that the coastal battery should be moved to Kobberø 7 km. to the southeast. The new location would make better use of the guns, especially when their shooting field was limited by the upcoming bunkers. At the same time, bunkers and equipment were very exposed to water in their current location.

The building in Kobberø began at the end of 1944, but material lacked the construction and already in the early 1945 it was set.

The guns stayed on Agger Tange and the many bunkers are today located at the beach.