Already in autumn 1940 the German navy started construction of a gun battery on the western tip of the island Rugsundøya in Norway.
It was important for the Germans to defend the many fjords and ports in the occupied Norway and the guns here was to defend the entrance to the town of Måløy.
In spring 1941, the first two guns was operational. It was two old Russian 130 mm. guns from 1915, the Germans had captured on board a French ship in Bergen the year before. On 27 December 1941 the guns was in us, when British and Norwegian commandos soldiers attacked the German installations in Måløy. The 580 soldiers arrived in the morning in two transport ships and was accompanied by a cruiser and four destroyers. Simultaneously, the German gun batteries in the area was bombed by British bombers. The two guns on Rugsundøya was pounding both the aircraft and the ships, but technical problems with the guns resulted in only 35 shots were fired and with only a single hit.
In the evening invaders returned to England.
As a result of the attack, the two old Russian guns was replaced with more modern guns of the same caliber. These were also Russian, but from 1940 and with a range of 20 km.
After the war the gun battery entered in the Norwegian defense and was renamed Fort Rugsundøy, but already in 1950 it was closed down.
Today it is possible to visit the gun battery as an open air museum and among other things to see one of the surviving guns.