Gun Battery Uriny

The waters around the current Croatia were important for the Germans for the transportation of supplies and equipment.

After Italy pulled out of the war in September 1943, the Germans therefore took over the Italian posts and expanded several of them.

To the east of the important port town of Rijeka, the German army began in the early 1944 casting of bunkers (R 679) to four 90 mm. former Italian guns. Bunkers were built for two of the guns and two were placed in open ring positions and thus had a 360° field of fire.

The guns had a range of 12 km. and the remains of the bunker are currently in a closed area at the URINJ HEP Power Plant.