Gun Battery Slettestrand

In the summer of 1942 the Germans began constructing an artillery battery on the beach at Slettestrand. These four 122 mm. guns were built in 1931, and had been captured from the Soviets. They had a range of 20 km.

In early 1943, the guns were moved to a ridge about 1 km. behind the coastline, and construction began on gun bunkers (R671) and a control bunker (R636a).

Those batteries built by the Army were usually located some distance from the shore, in order to bring fire on ground forces. The Navy usually emplaced their guns closer to the shore. They preferred to hit their targets before they landed, and their gunnery program was much more suited to targets afloat.

Construction of the gun battery continued until liberation in May 1945.