Gun Battery Romandils

Between 1942 and 1944, the Germans fortified the French Mediterranean coastline. From Menton in the east, on the Italian border, to Cerbère, on the Spanish border to the southwest. In 1942, the Germans began construction on a battery in the city of Port La Nouvelle. These four 105mm guns, initially horse-drawn, were emplaced to prevent Allied landings. At first, they were positioned in open concrete mounts. In 1943, R671 concrete bunkers were constructed, with anti-aircraft and close defense positions build around them. All the posts were connected with trenches. Several tunnels and underground rooms were hacked and blasted out of the rock.

The gun battery never saw combat, and in August 1944 the Germans evacuated the position. The guns were taken north and all the bunkers were blown up.