This gun battery was begun by the German army in the summer of 1942. The guns were six 155 mm. guns with a range of 21 kilometers. The guns were placed in the open ring positions until the autumn of 1943 where the casting of the gun bunkers (R679) started. There were built bunkers to four of the guns and these were ready in April 1944.
In addition, bunkers were built to air defense, ammunition, personnel and close combat.
After the Allied landings in Normandy June 6th, 1944 (D-Day) and the rapid advance the whole Cherbourg peninsula was isolated June 18th.
On June 23th the gun battery was attacked by fighter bombers and artillery from the advancing American forces. Only two of the guns could return the fire and after a further advance that brought Americans into better shooting position, the Germans themselves survendered June 25th.
The battle for Cherbourg raged more than a week and ended July 1th when the last German troops surrendered. Just before surrendering, the Germans demolished most of the port installations in Cherbourg. Despite strenuous efforts by Allied engineers, the port was not capable of receiving larger ships before the end of August.
The bunkers and the open ring positions are currently scattered around in a residential neighborhood.