Gun Battery Judée - Ostmark

The building of this gun battery began in 1943 by the German army. The four French 105 mm. guns had a range of 20 km. and were from 1935. They were set up in each of their bunks (R669) and had a field of fire to the north west, thus ensuring the harbor in Cherbourg.

The gun battery was located 500 m. West of the somewhat larger Naval Gun Battery Hamburg, which was built by the German navy.

The navy's guns would rather defend the enemy while they were at sea and the army's guns when enemy was landed.

It therefore made sense to place two gun batteries so close to each other.

The entire Cherbourg fortress, as the battery were a part of, came into battle against the attacking Allied naval and land forces in June 1944, but the bunkers placement prevented them from defying the enemy.

The guns were therefore moved out of the bunkers and set out fieldally as artillery and participated in the fightings until Cherbourg's liberation on July 1, 1944.

The four bunkers are currently on private grounds.