In 1938, the Germans began the construction of an artillery battery near the city of Swinemünde. The guns should, in the expected future conflict, protect the Pomeranian Bay and the port of Swinemünde. The three guns were Klaiber 283 mm. and had a range of 36 km. To control the fire from the three guns, a 30 metre high command bunker was built, with a large range finder on top. The gun battery was named after General August von Goeben from the Franco-Prussian war of 1870.
Today there is a museum in the old command bunker which simultaneously serves as an observation tower.
© Picture by Artur Smaga
“ It's only acessable by foot or bike. Now it's a observation Tower for forrest fires. Close to it there's a Bunker Museum 'Bateria Vineta'”