Gun Battery Dollmann

When the Germans conquered France in 1940, they also captured a stock of French 220 mm. guns, that had been built in 1917. Four of these guns were sent to the Channel Island of Gurnsey to be part of the coastal defense of the former British island. The guns had a range of 22 km. and were operational in late 1941. They were set in open ring positions, with crew and ammunition bunkers nearby. The battery which was initially conceived as a temporary reinforcement, remained operational throughout the war.

The Germans in Guernsey and the other Channel Islands surrendered to the Allies 9 May 1945.