Gun Battery 864

On top of the cliffs of Michaniona south of the entrance to the important port city of Thessaloniki, the German army built in the summer of 1943 a gun battery with four 152 mm. Russian guns. To target-designate and control of the fire from the guns a large Fire control post (R636) was built.

The range of the guns was 17 km. and they could easily cover the entire Kolpos Bay.

Thessaloniki was the first big city that the German conquered in April 1941, and the occupation ended in late October 1944.

Today it is possible to visit the old Fire control post, which offers a great view of the bay and the Olympos mountain in the background.