One of the strongest of Germany's east-west defensive lines in Italy was the Gothic Line. It ran from Pisa in the west to Rimini in the east, followed a number of rivers and the mass of the Apennines. The construction work began in late 1943, but did not really start before the summer of 1944. Tank Ditches, barbed wire and mines were the passive defenses and machine gun positions and dug in turrets from tanks the active ones.
The Germans had a fear that the Allies would circumvent the Gothic Line and several of the other lines of defense by landing troops behind them, the defense close to the coast was therefore extra strong. The flat beaches were ideal for amphibious assaults, so dragon’s teeth were made along the seafront and bunkers was built. Inland, bridges and especially the mountain passages were heavily fortified.
Today it is possible to see traces of the Gothic Line in several places.