Immediately after the German occupation of Belgium in May 1940, they began construction of an advanced headquarters for Adolf Hitler. This headquarters was needed for the continuing conquest of France. It was located in the forest, near Brûly de Pesch. In addition to the command bunkers, there were other bunkers, shelters, and barracks for the command staff. The whole area was fenced in, and further defensive positions were built. Also, the village church and school were taken over. Just south of the city, a small airfield was also constructed.
Today the site has been made into a museum, with a small Führerbunker available to view.
© Picture by Stuart Wigley