Fortified Front Oder-Warthe-Bogen

Fortified Front Oder-Warthe-Bogen was started by the Germans in 1934, 200 km. east of Berlin. The Fortified Front consisted of a series of fortifications and bunkers to ensure Germany's eastern border with Poland. It was named Ostwall and stretched over approximately 90 km. and consisted besides bunkers of armor barriers, barbed wire and several bridges and dams.

Bridges and dams were built so that they could either be withdrawn or hastily burst and thereby flood large areas and prevent enemy attacks.

Several of the large bunkers were connected via underground tunnels and some of the corridors were large enough, so that new crew and supplies could be brought in by train.

A total of 160 fortifications were planned, but when construction stopped in 1938 only about 60 was completed. The German fortress builders began instead to build Westwall on the border to France.

Since in 1942, both the weapons and material was removed from the bunkers and transferred to fortify the Atlantic Wall in the west.

That meant that the fortress line was more or less battered in 1944 as it was to be tested against the advancing Soviets.

There was a lack of both equipment and crew and several of bunkers was not even staffed. It only took the Soviets three days in late January to pass the fortress line and the installations that did not surrendered or were defeated, were simply bypassed.