Gun Battery Syre

In 1941 construction commenced on a gun battery on the island of Karmøy, north of Stavanger in southwestern Norway. Constructed using Soviet prisoners of war as forced labourers to perform the difficult work, the battery entered operation in 1943 and covered the coast from the entrance to Stavanger in the south through to Haugesund in the north. The battery consisted of five captured Soviet 122 mm. A-19 field guns with a range of up to 26 km, mounted in five open firing ring positions cast in concrete.  A total of 4 bunkers were also present at the position; R636 serving as fire control, R622 and R655 as crew accommodation, and R607 as ammunition storage. All 4 bunkers were built into the rock for added protection and camouflage.

In 1944, the Kreigsmarine (German Navy) installed a Wurzburg Riese radar on the cliff behind the gun battery, which permitted vessels up to 80 km. distant to be tracked.

Today the guns are gone, but the ring positions and bunkers remain extremely well preserved. This is well worth visiting.