Naval Gun Battery Oerlandet

One of the old towers with three 283 mm. guns, was moved to Ørland Peninsula, to guard the entrance to Trondhiem, Norway. Demolitions were used to dig out the positions, where everything from ammunition storage to hospital accommodations were constructed. Yugoslav prisoners were used as the labor force, living in miserable conditions during the construction.

These guns were of the most modern design. They fired shells weighing 315-330 kilograms, with an effective range of 38 kilometers. By August 1943, they were operational.

The turret at Trondheim was taken by the Norwegians in 1945, and remained operational until 1968. Today there is a museum at this facility.