Railway Battery Närbö

The German Navy started this battery in 1942, south of Stavanger. The guns were 280 mm. rail guns and being placed on a turntable, they had a 360° field of fire.  500 metres north of the guns the Germans built a large command bunker (M 263) to direct the fire from the guns.

In the summer of 1944 the 280 mm. guns were replaced by 240 mm. guns captured from the French,which had previously been placed in Narvik in MKB Ofoten. These replacement had a range of 26 km.

After the war, the railway tracks were removed and today all that remains is just the bunkers that back onto the fields at Nærbø.