On a hill just north of the port city of Boulogne, the French navy built a coastal fort in 1806 which was operational until 1864 when it was closed. In 1879 they started with the construction of Fort de la Crèche at the same place. This battery was equipped with 4 pcs. of 194 mm. guns model 1902. After the German invasion in 1940, the guns were taken over by the German Navy and already in early June 1940 the guns was ready for firing. On 7 June there was a skirmish during which the Germans sank a British fast attack boat (MTB). In 1943, the Germans expanded the gun battery with 4 captured French 105 mm. guns and they built bunkers to protect the guns, ammunition and crew. After the invasion of Normandy in June 1944, it was the Canadian troops' task to advance along the coast to Calais. On 17 September they reached Boulogne and after a heavy bombardment and 5 days of intense fighting, the area was liberated. Today, the remains of the gun battery are protected and are safe-guarded by a charitable fund.