This heavy anti-aircraft battery was constructed by the Germans in 1943. It consisted of six 105 mm. guns, originally built for naval use. Each gun was installed in a steel dome, mounted on a concrete bunker. Each had a 360° field of fire. Fire control came from a separate command bunker.
The battery was built on the island of Munkholmen, at the entrance to Trondheim’s harbor. Trondheim was Germany’s largest fleet base in Europe, including two major U-Boat bunkers.
The battery can still be visited today. One of the guns and the ranging equipment have been restored.