The airport at Rye was built as a private airfield in 1935 and when the Germans attacked Denmark and Norway on 9 April 1940, this small airfield played a prominent role. It was important for the Germans to be able to maintain supplies to the campaign in Norway and the capacity of the airport in Aalborg was inadequate. Therefore, Rye was brought into Luftwaffe use hours after Denmark's surrender.
Several units operated from Rye including transport planes (Ju 52) and fighters (Messerschmitt Bf 110). This major activity led to a British air raid on 2nd May, though no significant damage was caused.
The Germans now started a massive expansion of the airfield with barracks, bunkers and anti-aircraft (flak) positions. After Norway's surrender, the need for air transport diminished and Rye airfield lost its significance.
Until liberation in May 1945, the airfield was used for training and as a reserve landing field.
It is now possible to find the various bunkers on the site.